Monday, October 10, 2011

A post from the treatment room

Monday is the day for my chemotherapy for now. Today is the second of the three week cycle.

The weather is decidedly pleasant - 22 degrees Celcius right now, with expectations to rise to 25 (where do you find the degree symbol on an iPad?).

The French doors ar open onto the outside world bringing a summery feeling into the room. I

have been connected to an IV. Almost the moment it starts, I can feel the mixtue burning. It makes the area around it very cold. That is the reason that I am receiving a flush of saline solution at the same time. I probably have another hour here before the chemo is finished. It is now 12:14 so I'll be finished really early today. Last week I didn't get away until after 4:00!

People of all ages find their way here. Some patients are very young. I have seen young mothers here. Quite often the treatment is successful.

The effects of the chemo can vary. Last week I was fine for a few days. Then on Wednesday afternoon I began to feel washed out. There is no alterative to complete rest. I felt better the next day but didn't really feel myself until Sunday. Strangely, after three weeks I get a week off. The last time I felt wonderful!

Today I was one of the first in the treatment room. The room has now filled up with patients and their families.

One more session next week, then another break. That's me for now.

2 comments:

  1. Barry, Sorry to hear about your health and I wish you a speedy recovery.
    I am a platelet donor and if you need platelets and the blood type is a match I can adjust my donation routine to suit your treatment. I am prolific in producing this stuff and currently donate every 2 weeks. Blood is O+ but there may be more tests needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark! At present my platelet count is fine. My blood is B+.

    ReplyDelete