Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The quest for a new phone

For over a year I have been cursed with having to use a Nokia 5800 Music Express. This happened when my son just had to have my Blackberry. The motivation was BBM. All his friends were using BBM to communicate so it made financial sense.

To be honest I was not upset to part from the Blackberry. This was a top end model, but I couldn't take the Windows 3.1 operating system. Although BB had fitted a 5 mp camera, it was not capable of quality shots.

At first the 5800 seemed like a breath of fresh air. It had fairly good sound, had gps and voice navigation. But it didn't take long for the software to stop working properly. It was one thing after another. Now I keep being told that too many Internet connections are open. No more Internet, no more gps.

BB and Nokia are off the list of options!

The Apple iPhone 4 is a good phone and spells quality and luxury. Right now we have four iPhone s in the house. Yes, it is good. Bu t it also has failings. My iPad is basically a giant iPhone. Let me. Get something different.

The cellphone network offers a limited range of handsets. One of the best seems to be the HTC Desire HD. Based on the Android system, the phone has everything including an eight mp camera. But the re IRS of the camera and the audio are not great.

The there is the Samsung Galaxy S I9000 - another Android phone. Very similar to the iPhone it has the additional benefit of FM radio. Mind you, the body os plastic and not likely to last.

Sony Ericsson has produced some good products in the last. All that is available through my network is the X10 Mini Pro And the Vivaz - both compact smart phones. I was told to wait for the Arc.

So what to get and does it matter?

2 comments:

  1. I understand your comments, but my journey was Nokia to HTC to iPhone, and I can't see myself rushing back. The HTC running Windows Mobile was particularly bad. Sure the iPad does all the iPhone can do, but then does not fit in your pocket. Look the other way, the iPhone is just a small iPad...

    ReplyDelete