Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Impressions of the ipad

My iPad has become my main connection to the Internet. Not because it is better, but because my laptop has been taken over by one of my sons. He needs it for his architecture degree. Can't argue with that.

The iPad and Apple's Safari browser works adequately for most sites. On some the links don't work. On others scroll bars vanish so you have to stop reading there. I have been using the iPad to write these blog posts. It is poor as an editor. Changing a word and correcting spelling are difficult. Putting the cursor into the middle of a sentence is tough!

Safari doesn't have tabbed browsing, but there is a little button the will take you to all recently visited sites.

Media is relatively good with the iPad. iTunes works well. Not bad for watching videos at all. My only gripe is that without purchasing a stand or a cover, you have to hold the device all the time.

It is really wonderful to be able to Skype or talk on FaceTime directly from the iPad. The video is quite good and the sound is adequate.

My version is dependent on a wireless LAN. That means that connectivity is lost when the WLAN is not available.

The major dissapointment for me relates to the quality of sound that tha iPad produces. It is poor. My third rate Nokia has much better sound. With headphones that changes dramatically. It seems that Apple somehow expect everyone to be wired to headphones all the time.

The iPad is a useful device with some major limitations. The low quality sound was a major disappointment. There is no USB port. Still, it is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment