Saturday, September 17, 2011

... no longer a rat

“The trouble with the rat race is that even if you winyou're still a rat.” Lily Tomlin. 
There is no escaping that. No matter where you are in the race to get to the top, you remain a rat. 


In a sense I can consider myself lucky. After years of working my way through the insanity of the corporate world, I have at last escaped! I am no longer part of the rat-race. 


Not that everything about the corporate world is bad. It somehow manages to produce the goods. Occasionally we get something innovative and new. We get products that help to enrich our lives. We need the products, we need the people that produce the products. It keeps money flowing and allows us to feed our families. 


Business is not the problem. It is just the way that people function in business, the strange ways that things get done, the power struggles, the in-fighting ...


My involvement with the corporate world lasted for a good few decades. I worked in a number of capacities, as an independent business consultant, as a business analyst, and in IT. 


It all ended rather abruptly after I took on a new permanent post. No sooner had I begun with induction into the company than I became seriously ill. A few weeks later the diagnosis of pancreas cancer shook my world. It didn't take long for the company to begin a dismissal procedure on the grounds of incapacity. Who could blame them? I just wasn't up to providing a 40 hour week any more. 


While I do have to face the challenge of this most sever form of cancer, I am at least free to pursue the things that really interest me. The corporate world can take a back seat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment